I Peter 1: 15-16
But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.
In his notes Scofield made this statement: “Paul divides men into three classes:
- ‘Natural’ i.e. the Adamic Man, unrenewed through the new birth;
- ‘Spiritual’ e. the renewed man as Spirit-filled and walking in the Spirit in full communion with God; and
- Carnal’, ‘fleshly’, i.e. the renewed man (that is, a genuinely born-again Christian) who, walking ‘after the flesh’, remains a babe in Christ”
At home, some men are notorious for being oblivious to the huge leadership vacuum their passivity creates. They do not realize how negatively their wives and children are affected by their lack of spiritual direction and leadership.
We can be inspired by the fact that great things happen when men wake up and step up. When a man finally understands his role and resolutely surrenders himself to God’s plan, his life and that of his family completely change. His priorities and visions become clear and his life takes on a bold new purpose. He learns to say “no” to sinful and secondary things that hold him back and keep his values and commitments strong no matter the circumstance.
Men do not stumble on integrity or accidentally find themselves being faithful to God. Note that:
- Passivity merely leads to futility.
- A man cannot be passive about what the Scripture tells him to do for his family and expect to be found faithful to God in the end.
God created fatherhood with an eternal purpose:
- To reveal and represent God Himself,
- God is a Father Himself and He wants the relationship that exists between Him and Christ to exist in our homes.
All fatherhood comes from God Himself (Ephesians 3:14, 15). Every human father is called to be a daily, physical representation of God to his children, to introduce Him to the next generation. Think about it; if your children fail to see Jesus in you, as their father, the next generation of your family will be ungodly.
When a child looks at his father, he should be able to see these qualities of God:
- A loving Provider,
- A strong Protector,
- A truthful Leader,
- A respectable Authority and
- An intimate Friend.
This affects how a child thinks. It also affects how the child sees God as the Heavenly Father.
How well do you represent your heavenly Father to your son and daughter, and even to your wife? That is your priceless purpose.